Right now I have a 2 month old who sleeps through the night and a 2.5 year old who doesn't. Ironic eh?
Something’s gotta give, and this week it’s going to be this blog. It’s 11:15pm as I’m writing this, and it took my husband and me two hours to put my son to sleep….yes TWO hours. He finally got to sleep after 9pm. Then it was time for me to clean up, shower and get ready for work tomorrow.
My toddler’s sleep schedule has been a major issue for the past 3 months (starting about 1 month before baby was born). He knows every trick in the book to delay sleep. He either needs to: use the potty, get a drink, get a tissue, or just runs out! We've tried this SuperNanny technique. It worked the first few nights, but we’re back to him running out again. We’re going to keep trying to use it to stay consistent.
Here are some suggestions from others that have tried and failed so far:
- Gate (he climbs over it)
- Promise him a reward in the morning (he still runs out)
- Tell him Santa won’t bring him presents if he runs out (he still runs out)
- Lock the door (failed because I think it’s cruel – especially at night when it’s dark)
- Supernanny technique mentioned above
- Giving him a flashlight to play with while in bed
- Reasoning with him…telling him that mommy wants to have a nice bedtime and read books, sing songs and be happy. Sometimes he agrees J
Some recently suggested that we should try Elf on the Shelf. I may try it soon!!!
I used to write blog posts after my toddler went to sleep at night, but that hasn't been possible lately. So, hopefully his sleep schedule will change for the better soon and I’ll be able to focus a little more on the blog.
Thanks for your patience as I try to get my life together. Send me any suggestions you might have for how to get my toddler back on a good sleep schedule!