I whipped up a tasty broccoli coleslaw recipe this weekend for a family dinner. The recipe is egg-free and free of traditional mayo. Everyone loved this broccoli coleslaw and many second helpings were taken :)
Why do I love this recipe so much?
- It's a unique side dish for picnics and other meals
- It includes lots of healthy ingredients like broccoli, apples and cabbage (According to WebMD, cabbage contains chemicals that are thought to help prevent cancer!)
- It's egg free and allergy-friendly
- It's a nice mixture of flavors and textures (sweet, "sour" from the vinegar, crunchy and soft) and the dressing is lighter than the usual heavy creamy coleslaw recipes
- 14 oz bag shredded cabbage (my bag included carrots)
- 2 cups broccoli (cut/pulled into small florets)
- 2 apples, diced
- 3/4 cup craisins
- 3 Tbsp sunflower seeds (I used Gerbs Lightly Sea Salted Sunflower Seeds)
- 2/3 cup Earth Balance mayo (egg-free)
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Mix together main ingredients
- Mix together dressing ingredients
- Pour dressing on main ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate before serving.
Our family meal this weekend included barbecue chicken, wild rice and salad, plus the coleslaw. Since many barbecue sauces have artificial and/or added ingredients in it, I used Wegmans Organic BBQ Sauce. It tasted great and the kids even loved it!
This broccoli coleslaw would work perfectly with other meals like:
Chicken with pepperoni sauce
Homemade crockpot BBQ pulled pork
Turkey burger with avocado, tomato and corn
Look for back-to-school posts soon! Good luck to all those parents whose kids have already started school!