Oh, and it's so tasty too!
Of course, I made mine food allergy friendly so it's dairy-free and nut-free. I used Enjoy Life chocolate chips and chocolate bars which are a staple at our house. I also used Glutino pretzels and Spangler's candy canes which are clearly labeled for allergens.
My recipe was inspired by this recipe from Jules Gluten-Free. My version has a few variations since I wanted mine to be nut-free. Here's how I did it.
- 1 bag (10 oz) Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- 2 Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate bars
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2/3 cup crushed pretzels (I used Glutino pretzels but any would work)
- 3 peppermint candy canes (I used Spangler brand)
I'd love to try sunflower seeds and/or Craisins as an option here too.
- Melt all the chocolate in a double broiler on low heat (I put a big glass bowl on top of a pan as a makeshift double broiler and it worked just fine!)
- While the chocolate is melting, cut the pretzels (you can also break them in a ziplock bag, but I found cutting them on a cutting board with a big knife was easiest)
- Break the candy canes in a ziplock bag. I used a big rolling pin to break them up. Probably the hardest part of this recipe!
- Mix all your pretzels and candy canes with the chocolate
- Line your 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil
- Pour the chocolate, pretzels, and candy cane mix into the aluminum foil lined pan
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours
This really tastes like a peppermint chocolate pretzel. Soft yet crunchy, sweet and salty, and a holiday peppermint twist!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you! Hope you enjoy!