These days I really don't watch any TV except for a few minutes of a cartoon here or there. But tonight is different because...it's Oscar night!
The Oscars may not be a big deal for some people, but it's glorious ridiculous fun for me. I love the dresses, the hairstyle and makeup, the usually meaningless red carpet banter and silly show openings. It's a few hours of mindless fun and I love it.
I've always been somewhat of a celebrity junkie and used to always watch E! news and read celebrity magazines. I also have fun keeping track of the celebrities I've met or seen in real life like:
- Martha Stewart in a Speedo shop in NYC in 1999, BEFORE she went to jail (that has to be the most odd place for a celebrity sighting)
- A few celebrities getting out of their limos to go into a NYC theater including: Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, and Claudia Schiffer and David Copperfield (yes, they dated once)
- Al Roker walking in NYC
- Heidi Klum walking arm in arm with what looked like her mother in NYC
- Jimmy Fallon walking in NYC when he was on SNL
- Ryan Seacrest at a friend's wedding in CA
- Mark Hamill (original Luke Skywalker) at a premier of one of the newer Star Wars movies - we randomly saw the premier happening while walking down the street in CA!
- Carson Daily - I shook his hand on the set of TRL when I interned at MTV
- Geri Haliwell from the Spice Girls on the set of TRL
- Christine Taylor (now Ben Stiller's wife) going into her parent's house - which led me to realize she grew up in the same town as I did!
This is such a silly list, but it's all in good fun. My husband and I always make Oscar night fun by making it a competition between the two of us. We print out ballots like this one and make a deal that whoever wins has to do something for the other like make dinner.
Speaking of food...
Oscar night also means a fun snack. Tonight I'll be munching on this popcorn called Tiny But Mighty Popcorn that I found at Fresh Market. It's heirloom popcorn meaning that it's not genetically modified. You can see the NON GMO Project Verified logo at the bottom.
I actually made this popcorn in a pot on the stove and it was as easy as popping a bag of popcorn in the microwave. The directions for this popcorn said to:
- Add 2 Tbsp oil (I used organic canola oil) to a big pot on medium/high heat.
- Add 4 kernels of popcorn.
- When 1 kernel pops, add 2/3 cup of kernels and shake to spread around the pot
- Cover, let pop, and when there are 2 - 3 seconds between pops pour into large bowl
Voila. Yummy, non-GMO, non-chemical-microwave-bag popcorn.
It's of course also great because it's allergy friendly for my son. We put 3 different toppings on it:
1 bowl had cinnamon and a little salt:
And 1 bowl had Earth Balance butter melted on it with a little salt:
We have a big bowl of plain popcorn leftover that I'll munch on while watching my glorious Oscars. I might try another topping I haven't even thought of yet.
What would YOU put on YOUR popcorn?? Tell me in the comments section!!
Happy Oscar watching!!