I didn't know what to name this great dish. It's really a mix between banana bread, oatmeal cake, and baked oatmeal. It's a hearty bread-like texture, but it's filled with healthy protein like SunButter and oatmeal. I toyed with a few names, but decided to keep it simple because it IS simple.
Why do I love this recipe so much?
- It's food allergy friendly for our family: Dairy-free and egg-free unlike usual baked oatmeal
- It's full of protein from the SunButter and oats, which it makes it extra hearty and filling
- It includes no added refined sugar - only sugar from the honey and dates!
Plus, it's a recipe that's great for a Sunday morning brunch, or a quick on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Don't ya just want to take a big bite? It's moist, hearty and a little sweet. Yum.
So, here's how you make this wonderful SunButter Baked Oatmeal recipe.
SunButter Baked Oatmeal
*Print this recipe
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates (I used these chopped dates (affiliate link). If you don't add them, add 1 Tbsp more honey to sweeten the recipe).
- 1.5 cups milk (I used rice milk but use whatever kind you wish)
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp SunButter
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 flax egg: 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 large chopped banana
- Mix your flax egg and set aside
- Stir together the dry ingredients with a whisk
- Stir together the wet ingredients
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet and gently stir to combine.
- Pour into an 8x8 greased pan (I love my Misto (affiliate link) for easy and healthy greasing!)
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out clean
By the way, I'm now a SunButter Blogger! You may see a few more SunButter-focused recipes on the blog, but that's not too much of a change. I've depended on SunButter for 4 years so, so I hope to share some new fun SunButter recipes with you!
What's your favorite SunButter recipe? Are there are any new recipes you'd like to see with SunButter?