Even though we were prepared with lots of flashlights, emergency supplies and food, I was still worried about how we were going to get around a dark and cold house with two little ones. Food allergies also add another element of thought into emergency preparation. I thought this link from The Kids With Food Allergies Foundation was especially helpful.
I was also VERY worried about all the food in our fridge. A good amount of the food my son eats week to week comes right out of the freezer as I make big batches and then freeze the rest. So, losing the food in our freezer would have definitely been a major issue!
This is actually one of our favorite recipes that I freeze so I'm sure I have it on hand all the time: Vegan and Gluten-free Mac and Cheese.
- 1 lb gluten-free pasta (I like quinoa pasta for the taste and protein)
- 1.5 cups Daiya mozzarella cheese
- 1.5 cups Daiya cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp rice milk
- Boil the pasta as directed
- While the pasta is boiling, add the Daiya cheese and rice milk, cook on low and stir constantly until melted. (Don't expect this to be the same consistency as regular cheese. It doesn't melt as well and it WILL get messy in your pan! However, it turns out nicely once you mix it with the pasta.)
- Drain your pasta, and add to the pan with the melted cheese. Stir until mixed.
- Spray muffin tins with olive oil, and add the mac and cheese.
- Put muffin tins in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes so they bake together (which allows you to freeze it well).
- Once cooled, freeze in plastic ziplock bag.
- When you'd like to eat these, I take one or two of these out for my son, microwave them for about 1 minute, and they're just as perfect as when I made them originally.
Enjoy and Happy Halloween by the way!!