What to do with all that blooming summer basil? Make basil pesto of course!
I found a tasty recipe here for pesto that's nut and dairy free. It includes so many yummy ingredients that are right up my alley. I followed the exact directions the first time making it, but I may adapt it a bit next time to use less lemon and garlic powder. Here are the ingredients with notes and directions:
- 6 cups fresh spinach (wilt it in a pan with olive oil, then add to your food processor)
- 2 diced avocados
- 1/2 cup fresh basil - stems removed
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- Juice of 1 whole lemon (I may add a little less next time as this was too lemony for my toddler)
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder (I may also add a little less of this next time for my taste!)
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 1 Tbsp thyme
- pinch of salt and pepper (adapt to your taste)
Add everything to the food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. The avocado made this especially creamy. Just look at the beautiful green color!
I decided to make this an easy dinner and add the pesto on top of fresh chicken breast with garden tomatoes. I added a few more avocados and basil to make it fun to look at and eat of course!
This would also be great on any kind of pasta, as a spread on a sandwich or wrap, or on top of crusty bread to make bruschetta.